Sadly for me, one of my very best friends here in Kansas is moving in a few weeks. To New York. So last night, we had a goodbye party for her. One of the things we did was to play a game in which we listed random facts about Kansas and New York and the guests had to guess which state that fact was about. I thought it would be fun to share some of those facts here – but since I’m from New Jersey, I am sharing facts about Kansas and New Jersey.
- Pizza Hut opened its first restaurant in Kansas.
- Kansas won an award for most beautiful license plate.
- At one time it was illegal to serve ice cream on cherry pie in Kansas.
- It is illegal to shoot rabbits from a motorboat in Kansas.
- The helicopter was invented in Kansas.
- The first drive-in movie theater to have digital sound is in Kansas.
- It is illegal to catch fish with your bare hands in Kansas.
- The state which had the first woman mayor was Kansas.
- New Jersey has the highest percent urban population in the U.S. with about 90% of the people living in an urban area.
- New Jersey is the only state where all its counties are classified as metropolitan areas.
- The oldest seashore resort in the U.S. is located in New Jersey.
- New Jersey has the most diners in the world.
- The first submarine ride occurred in NJ.
- The largest seaport in the nation is in NJ.
- New Jersey is the largest chemical producing state in the nation.
- The longest boardwalk in the world is in NJ.
- The first Indian reservation was in NJ.
- The tallest water tower in the world is in NJ.
- New Jersey is the only state in the nation which offers child abuse prevention workshops to every public school.
- The first drive-in movie theater was opened in NJ.
- The first intercollegiate football game was played in New Brunswick, in 1869. Rutgers College played Princeton. Rutgers won. GO RU!
Thanks to 50 States.com for the info!