I am curious if summer vacation has gotten longer since I was a kid or maybe it’s just a midwest thing versus NJ? I used to spend 8 amazing weeks per summer attending a day camp which I loved more than anything! But I had one week between school and camp and another week after camp before school and that was all of summer. 10 weeks, from the last week of June until September.
My kids finished school before Memorial Day. We were home the week of Memorial Day. We took our road trip the following week. For the next two weeks the kids were partially with me and partially at a camp that they are able to attend for super cheap through Dave’s work. For four weeks after that they were at CGI. Keeping count? That’s 8 weeks. How many more weeks until school starts? FOUR! They have a 12 week summer.
This week the kids are attending camp at the Barstow School, which is a private school about 15 minutes from us. They offer a huge variety of programs and I mainly decided to send the kids there so that Gabbie could go to American Girl Camp! She has been wanting to go to that camp since her good friend attended it last summer. Here is the description:
Join this camp if you already have your own American Girl doll or if you just want to learn more about American Girl. You will spend a week diving into the world of American Girls like Samantha, Kit, Chrissa and Lanie. You will read their adventures, play their favorite games and cook their tasty recipes! Bring your American Girl, Magic Attic or other 18-inch doll to camp every day and discover the excitement of American Girl!
It turns out that they are focusing on Rebecca on Thursday, and Gabbie has Rebecca! She is so excited. Tomorrow they are getting their photos taken with the dolls. How cute. American Girl Camp is in the afternoon. In the morning Gabbie is doing Mary Poppins Camp!
You won’t need a “spoonful of sugar” to enjoy this Barstow Broadway camp. Spend a week learning some of the classic, enchanting songs of Mary Poppins including Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and more. You will sing and dance your way through one of Broadway’s most popular shows. On Friday, you will perform on stage for family and friends. Get ready to “step in time!
Gabbie loves Mary Poppins and she loves dancing, but she is not so sure about singing and acting on stage! She seemed to be happy today when I picked her up though. When I left her this morning she was sitting on the curb with her Mary Poppins group and I saw her showing her doll to another girl who also had a doll – it seems a few of them are in both camps together. I hope she loves the whole experience!
Zachary is in camp as well. For his age there aren’t so many choices. Many of the camps in the area only offer half days for entering kindergarteners. Luckily his hours are the same as Gabbie’s. His camp theme is A Bug’s Life. Today he made a butterfly mask and did some numbers worksheets!
Simon is doing Mommy Camp this week. Luckily he takes a nap! Next week we’ll be back to part Mommy Camp and part camp through Daddy’s work. I’m just reviewing our bucket list to see what things we can do when the kids are home! Sadly it’s been much too hot for a lot of the outdoor activities!
Out of the House Activities:
· Lego Discovery Center – kids went with camp
· Sea Life Aquarium – Dave wants to go too and we haven’t yet
· Spray park – not yet
· Farmstead – went with camp
· Zoo – we go often!
· Berry picking – drought has effected the berries!
· LittleMonkey Business – done
· Bowling – not yet
· Lego Store – not yet
· Bike on path – we biked at a park
· Lake beach – not yet
· Paradise Park – done
· Crown Center play area and fountains – play area we did, fountains aren’t open for playing anymore!
· Nature center – not yet
· Loose Park Rose Garden – not yet
· Visit fire station – not yet
· Worlds of Fun – not yet
To Do at Home:
· Lemonade Stand – done but the kids want to do it again
· Paint outside – not yet
· Make smoothies – done
· Root Beer Floats – I’ve done it but the kids haven’t!
· Make rainbow cupcakes – not yet
· Fly kites – kids did with Dave
· Play Uno – not yet
· Have a treasure hunt – not yet
· Sharpie Marker t-shirts – not yet
· Nature scavenger hunt – not yet
· Waldo Farmer’s Market Wednesdays 3-7 – not yet
· OP Farmer’s Market Wednesdays starting in June (Farmer’s Market Bingo) – not yet
· 2nd Thursdays Park Place Concerts 6:30 PM – not yet
· Oak Park Library Wednesdays and Fridays 10-12 – not sure this is happening
· Curious George Movie June 11-14 10 AM Palazzo Theatre – done
· Minor League Baseball – Newark Bears at TBones June 13 11:05 AM – missed it
· Watch the Olympics July 28-August 8 – next week!