Having guests for Shabbos meals can be challenging when the guests present food preferences such as “no meat but no dairy either” or “no gluten please.” Cooking a variety of food seems to solve this problem, and I was proud of the meal I made this past Shabbos. Our guests were a family with one member who does not eat gluten and one who does not eat meat, plus another friend who said she likes to eat gluten free as well. (Gluten free Challah roll and cookies were provided by the family.) The meal included:
- My old stand by specialty – Tuna Potatoes, adapted from the recipe in the Spice and Spirit Cookbook .
- Quinoa Salad
- Taco Salad – no cheese and used Italian dressing instead
- Two types of chicken made by Dave – one was barbecued and one had buffalo sauce
- Fried rice – I halved this recipe and it came out really yummy!
- Broccoli Kugel (left off the bread crumb topping)
- Blondies for dessert – the pan cookie variation in the recipe
I enjoy having guests every so often and even though I don’t think I’m a good cook, I like to try out recipes. Any suggestions for my next meal with guests?